Ensuring Fitness Through a Healthy Diet
It is often stated, ‘We are what we eat’. In reality it is a part of a bigger statement. In short, ‘Good Nutrition starts from the Womb’. ‘We are what we eat, what our Mothers ate and what their Mothers ate!’ A cornerstone for healthy living is a Correct Diet. A Correct Diet does not mean Dieting. It means healthy Eating. To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art.
We the Nutrition & Dietetics Team at Medica are here to show you just how to do it! Before we take you through our specialties, it is important to clarify some myths about diet control.
- Diet Control means Dieting! It is monotonous, dull regime put down by Dieticians
- Diet Control is for the elderly and the sick
- Diet Control is basically staying hungry
- Diet cannot work wonders, nor will it cure a disease
- Why take the trouble? My genes will determine my fate, not what I eat.
- What will happen, will happen anyway
- Diet control means controlling your intake in a healthy way without depriving yourself of all good stuff you like. It can be made very interesting!
- It is required for all, including children
- Starving yourself is not advocated
- Go for neither Fasting nor Feasting
- Diet can help you prevent a disease or check its progression. Without it the skills of a physician are wasted!
- Your destiny is in your hands, not just your genes Energy, Fat, Essential Fatty Acids
Our Target Areas
- Obesity with or without underlying disease
- Chronic Disease leading to malnutrition
- Metabolic Diseases
- Lifestyle Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Eating problems due to Allergies, Surgery etc.
- Paediatric & Geriatric Nutrition
- Nutrition for Special Cases ( PKU, CF etc.)
- Normal Individuals pre-disposed to lifestyle diseases
- Individualized Diet Counselling
- Rational Approach
- Patient Education
- Permanent Dietary Modification
Eat a little bit of everything, but too much of nothing! Take a Balanced Diet.
A Balanced Diet is one that consists of all kinds of foods in the correct amounts. Each day, our Diet should consist of foods taken from All the Food Groups.
TIPS on Staying Healthy
- Healthy Eating Habits should be developed right from childhood
- Always go for fresh, seasonal food items
- Wash the vegetables before cutting them
- Take foods closest to their natural state
- Choose your menu using a wide variety of foods
- Avoid heavily processed, salted and ready- to- eat foods
- Do not use re-heated oil after cooking or frying in it.
- Garnish your dishes with spices, herbs instead of synthetic products
- Keep away from the White Poisons- Sugar & Salt
- Drink water at least 30 minutes before or after but not with your meals
You can do more for your health than any doctor, medicine or healthcare worker