Complete Lower Back Pain Treatment at Medica
Any operation on the lumbar spine, or lower back, is referred to as lumbar surgery. The most common surgical procedures for the lower back are lumbar decompression and lumbar fusion, which are two main categories of lumbar spine surgery. Low back surgery aims to alleviate or eliminate discomfort while also restoring lumbar spine stability. The majority of lower back discomfort can be managed without surgery. In truth, surgery does not always help pain.
Medica has a team of highly skilled orthopedics and orthopedic surgeons who are trained in their respective fields of expertise. Our dedicated team of doctors endeavor to provide you with world-class treatment.
Free Doctor Assessment
Anatomy of the Lower Back
The lumbar spine, often known as the low back, is made up of five vertebrae (spinal bones) designated L1 to L5. The head and trunk are supported by these vertebrae (vertebral bodies), which are the largest in the spine. The L5 vertebra, for example, distributes upper body weight to the legs via the sacrum and pelvis. The sacrum is a sturdy platform for the spinal column, consisting of five naturally joined vertebrae. The bones of the sacrum are numbered S1 through S5, despite the fact that they are joined. The hip is another name for the pelvis.
Who is Eligible for Lumbar Spine Surgery?
Surgical treatment may be appropriate for the following conditions:
- Disks that have herniated or burst, in which one or more of the discs that cushion the spine’s bones have been injured.
- A narrowing of the spinal column that puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves is known as spinal stenosis.
- One or more bones in the spine slip out of place, causing spondylolisthesis.
- Vertebral fractures are caused by trauma to the spine’s bones or osteoporosis.
- As a person gets older, degenerative disc disease, or deterioration to the spinal discs, develops.
- Back discomfort can be caused by a tumor, an infection, or a nerve root condition known as cauda equina syndrome in rare situations.
Benefits of Lower Back Surgery
The end outcome is frequently more than just a reduction in pain. You might come across:
- You have more mobility.
- You’ve improved your physical fitness.
- Your disposition improves.
- You don’t need to take as much pain medication as you previously did.
- You are free to return to work.
- At work, you’re more productive.
Lumbar Spine Surgery Objectives
Low back surgery aims to alleviate or eliminate discomfort while also restoring lumbar spine stability. These objectives can be met using two general surgical techniques:
- Decompression: Decompression is the process of removing tissue that is pressing against a nerve structure. It aids in the reduction of radicular symptoms (leg pain, burning, numbness).
- Stabilization: Keeps the vertebrae from moving around. Mechanical low back pain and symptoms can be reduced by stabilization.
Conditions that Affect the Lumbar Spine (Lower Back)
Although the lumbar discs are strong, typical wear and tear can cause them to break down, resulting in low back osteoarthritis (spondylosis). The degenerative process can cause considerable alterations in the anatomy of the lumbar spine. Because of the following factors, these alterations may produce low back discomfort or leg symptoms:
- Disruption of the intervertebral disc from within
- Vertebral motion that is abnormal
- The cauda equina and/or nerves are compressed.
Lumbar Spine Surgery: A Viable Option When Conservative Treatment Fails
Lumbar spine treatments are among the most successful procedures performed by spine surgeons today. Spine surgery is only used to treat lumbar degeneration if all other non-surgical options have failed. Patients who are carefully chosen and undergo the proper surgical treatment usually heal quickly and return to their normal.
Medica’s Orthopaedic Team is experienced in superspecialty orthopedics, besides routine trauma management. With an experience of thousands of joint-replacement and minimally-invasive procedures, the team offers an amalgamation of skill, dedication and world-class services at an affordable cost. We provide our patients with all-round care and treatment ensuring complete recovery from their bone ailments and quick return to normalcy.