Medica is the largest and most advanced ECMO center in Asia. Our ECMO journey started in 2014. The ESLO certified centre houses the largest number of ECMO machines in eastern India, supported 24×7 by ECMO specialists. Our experienced specialists have been involved in successful retrieval and transport of patients on ECMO support from other regions/states.
Free Doctor Assessment
What is ECMO?
It is a procedure in which blood is pumped outside the body to a heart-lung machine, which removes carbon dioxide and oxygenates the blood before returning it to the patient’s body.
What are the Heart conditions that may need use of ECMO?
Patients who exhibit the following medical conditions may require the use of ECMO:
- Heart attack (acute myocardial infarction)
- Heart muscle disease (decompensated cardiomyopathy)
- Inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis)
- Life-threatening response to infection (sepsis)
- Low body temperature (severe hypothermia)
- Some Lung conditions that may need use of ECMO
Respiratory conditions that also require to be treated through ECMO are:
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), Respiratory Failure
- Blockage in a pulmonary artery in the lungs (pulmonary embolism)
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- Defect in the diaphragm (congenital diaphragmatic hernia)
- Flu (influenza), Pneumonia, Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome
- High blood pressure in the lungs (pulmonary hypertension)
- More than 140 cases handled with 50% success rate.
- Pioneers in treatment of COVID cases with ECMO support in eastern India
- ECMO Society of India’s accredited centre for Fellowship Programme on ECMO
Our ECMO team has been involved in Air Ambulance transfer of critically ill patients on ECMO support (first such cases in eastern India) in October 2020 – from Siliguri and Bhubaneswar
The Outcomes of Using ECMO in Covid-19
In recent times, most of the studies revealed that using ECMO at the right time, in suitable patients, and by the right specialist may improve the survival rate and reduce mortality. Studies also show that the deaths were more in less experienced centers than in more experienced centers. Some studies suggest that ECMO is a valuable intervention in selected patients suffering from COVID-19.